Permit Information

Home » Events & Space Activation » Plan an Event » Permit Information

A variety of permits are required by the Municipality of Anchorage to host an event in a public space. Based on the size, scope, location and activity of your event, you might need event insurance, Anchorage Police Department presence, a traffic plan and additional permitting. We have outlined below what permits you will need to consider, and resources on how to find out more information. Please remember all permitting and insurance goes through the Municipality of Anchorage, and so any inquiries or questions should be directed their way.

Through our Anchorage Downtown Placemaking program, and in partnership with Anchorage Parks and Recreation, we have lessened the permitting requirements for small scale events in the downtown parks. To learn more about the program, please contact Anchorage Downtown Partnership, Ltd.:


Main Office: 907-279-5650


Permit Resources

Park Permit

To hold an event in a park, including downtown parks Town Square and Peratrovich, you must acquire a Special Event Permit from Anchorage Parks and Recreation. You must submit a letter of intent to Parks and Recreation, and they will be in touch with you to issue a permit. For more information on how to submit a Letter of Intent, or fill out your Special Event Permit, visit Anchorage Parks and Recreation‘s online Reservation System.

If you are hosting an activity through Anchorage Downtown Placemaking, Anchorage Downtown Partnership, Ltd. partners with you to obtain use of Town Square Park or Peratrovich Park through a partnership with Anchorage Parks and Recreation.

Additional fees that you might need to pay while holding your event in a park include:

Electricity costs if electricity is available in the park: $31.50/hr

Vendor Permits are required for all vendors: $100/day/per vendor

-All advertising or signage place in or around the park day-of, or days leading up to the event, must be approved by Anchorage Parks and Recreation

To learn more about Park Permitting needs:

Anchorage Parks & Recreation


632 W 6th Avenue, Suite 630

Anchorage, AK 99501

Phone: (907) 343-4355

Street Closure/Traffic Permit

The Municipality of Anchorage Traffic Department requires a Right of Way Special Activity Permit for all street closures (parades, block parties, running races, etc.). To obtain your Right of Way permit, you will need to submit a Traffic Plan, that must get certified by the department, and be ready to pay the Right of Way Permit Fees, based on attendance at the event. You must apply for your permit at least 30 days in advance of your event date.

For more information, please contact:

Municipality of Anchorage Traffic Department

4700 Elmore Road, 2nd Floor Anchorage, AK 99507

Phone: (907) 343-8406

Noise Permit

If your event will have amplified noise (use of a PA or stereo system, megaphone, etc.), you will need to obtain a Noise Permit from Municipality of Anchorage Health and Human Services. You must apply for the Noise Permit 20 days in advance to avoid a late fee. To search current noise permits, head to Current Noise Permits.

For more information or questions, please contact:

Municipality of Anchorage Health & Human Services Department 

825 L Street, 3rd Floor

Anchorage, AK 99501

Phone: (907) 343-6718

Alcohol Permit

To serve any alcoholic beverage in a public space or park, an Alcohol Permit must be obtained from the State of Alaska Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, and you must indicate on your Parks and Recreation Special Event Permit that you will have alcohol at the event. If you are selling alcohol, there is a $200 selling flat fee, in addition to the $264 fee for the general Alcohol Waiver, which is paid to Municipality of Anchorage Parks and Recreation. Often you will be required to submit a “Party Plan” and event set-up map with your application to seek approval from the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board.

For more information, please contact:

State of Alaska Alcoholic Beverage Control Board

550 W 7th AVE, STE 1600
Anchorage, AK 99501


Phone: (907) 269-0350

Assembly/Operational Permit

If your event attendance might exceed 1000 people, you will use fireworks or pyrotechnics, or have tents amounting to over 400 square feet, you will need an Operational Permit from the Anchorage Fire Department. This permit entails an inspector by the Fire Department prior to your event set-up. You must submit the Operational Permit two weeks prior to the event date, in order to coordinate the inspection.

For more information, please contact:

Anchorage Fire Department

100 E 4th Avenue

Anchorage, AK 99501

Phone: (907) 267-4900

Additional Police Officers

Depending on the nature of your event, and required additional security from other permit applications, you might need to hire Anchorage Police Officers to insure security at your event, through the Request for Officers form. With 14 day advance notice, additional officers are charged at $132/hr per officer, with minimum of two hours. Within 15 days of your event date, the charge increases to $160/hr per officer, with a minimum of four hours.

For more information, please contact:

Anchorage Police Department Patrol Division

4501 Elmore Road

Anchorage, Alaska 99507

Phone: (907) 786-8798

Event Insurance

In order to host an event in a public space, you must acquire general liability insurance, covering at least $1,000,000, filed with Anchorage Parks and Recreation at least ten days prior to the event date.

This insurance certificate must include:

-Municipality of Anchorage endorsement listed on the insurance

-The name of the insurer, the insurance carrier, the policy number, effective and expiration dates for the insurance, and coverage limits

-If alcohol at the event, a liquor liability endorsement is required

For more information, please contact:

Anchorage Parks & Recreation


632 W 6th Avenue, Suite 630

Anchorage, AK 99501

Phone: (907) 343-4355