If you are interested in joining the Anchorage Downtown Partnership, Ltd. team, please apply for one of our open positions below. Anchorage Downtown Partnership, Ltd. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We are accepting resumes and applications for our Downtown Ambassadors on an ongoing basis! Downtown Ambassadors are responsible for the security and maintenance within the Downtown Improvement District (DID). This includes picking up trash, emptying garbage receptacles, removing graffiti, snow removal, providing directions, responding to security issues such as trespassing, loitering, panhandling, and volatile people. Ambassadors will either resolve the issue or call the appropriate agency (APD, AFD, ASP, etc.).
Downtown Ambassador | Anchorage Downtown Partnership, Ltd. | Anchorage, AK
The Position: Downtown Ambassador
Anchorage Downtown Partnership Ltd. (ADP) seeks a qualified ambassador responsible for the security and maintenance within the Downtown Improvement District (DID). This includes picking up trash, emptying garbage receptacles, removing graffiti, providing directions, responding to security issues such as trespassing, loitering, pan handling and volatile people. Ambassadors will either resolve the issue or call the appropriate agency (APD, AFD, ASP, etc.). Maintenance and security are the responsibility of every ambassador.
The Downtown Ambassador reports to the Operations Director
Position Status and Classification
This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
In collaboration with the Operations Team, this important member of the ADP team will be responsible for:
- Ensure all sidewalks in the DID are clean of trash and debris.
- Ensure adjacent areas such as grass areas and fence lines are clean of trash and debris.
- Pressure wash sidewalks as needed.
- Identify, log, and remove graffiti on public property.
- Identify, log, and report graffiti on private property to your supervisor.
- Identify, log, and remove all stickers and posters attached to municipal property.
- Ensure all municipal trashcans are checked and emptied as needed.
- Ensure all maintenance issues are reported via online reporting (Wufoo).
- Ensure all requests for maintenance and/ or service is reported to supervisor.
- Complete various security and maintenance contracts as required.
- Maintenance is ongoing and continuous for all shifts.
- Ensure all security interactions are reported via online reporting (Wufoo).
- Identify and report to outside agencies issues that we cannot resolve (APD, AFD, ASP, etc.).
- Acknowledge, respond to, and report online all Safety First dispatch calls.
- Patrol assigned zones; call in location and hot spot checks regularly.
- Conduct check-ins with ambassadors working contracts in your zone.
- Validate and assess hot spots.
- Security is ongoing and continuous for all shifts.
Interact with Property Owners and Businesses
- Identify issues and concerns of property owners, businesses, and the general public while on duty.
- Report all issues to on duty supervisor for action.
- During patrol stop into businesses to identify any issues they may have.
- Identify and report trouble spots and work to resolve issues.
Snow Removal Responsibilities
- Clear sidewalks of snow and ice.
- Begin snow removal once snow is done falling or no later than 5am.
- Schedule may be adjusted for snow days.
- Complete training with various pieces of snow removal equipment.
- Ensure icy sidewalks are treated with ice melt.
- Identify and remove any snow on sidewalks while on patrol.
- Complete various contracts as required.
- Snow removal is ongoing and continuous for all shifts.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing
- Ability to read and interpret manuals.
- Ability to effectively report information to supervisor and outside agencies for action.
- Ability to complete online reporting (Wufoo, etc.)
- Ability to complete training classes
Certificates, licenses, registrations
- High school diploma or GED
- Valid and clean Alaska Driver’s License
- Emergency Medical Response Training – Preferred
- CPR/ AED Training- Preferred
- Cultural Sensitivity Training – Preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to effectively interact with co-workers to give and receive work direction
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Ability to adapt and innovate for maximum efficiency in a fast pace and ever dynamic community environment
- Open to direction and collaborative work style and commitment to job accomplishment
- Ability to effectively communicate with mobile radios
Tools and Equipment Used
- Knowledge in the use of motorized vehicles and equipment, including pickup truck, utility truck, ATVs, tractors, street sweeper, saws, pumps, compressors, sanders, generators, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, paint sprayers, paint stripers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must possess strength, stamina and mobility to perform heavy physical work in and out of doors in all weather conditions and with exposure to potentially hazardous conditions, use varied hand and power tools, drive a motor vehicle and/ or various motor driven equipment; lift and move materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds and heavier weights with the use of proper equipment; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone and/or radio.
Characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. Work requires considerable and strenuous physical exertion such as frequent climbing of multiple flights of stairs, walking and/or standing for entire work shifts. The employee occasionally works near machinery and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Routinely while dealing with clients, extreme caution must be exercised to avoid both violating the rights of the client and contracting communicable diseases. Furthermore, clients will occasionally attempt to inflict psychological trauma and humiliation through their use of lewd, obscene and vulgar verbal attacks.
The key relationships described are representative of those the Downtown Ambassador may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the Downtown Ambassador will provide information to and collect information from various people throughout their shift. Contact will be reported and/or logged in writing to ensure follow through with the request.
Anchorage Downtown Partnership, Ltd is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation or any other class protected by law.